Friday, April 10, 2009

Day Twenty-Six

Day Twenty-Six - April 10th, 2009

Tonight I went to the Benevolent Irish Society to check out a show. There were a bunch of bands from PEI and a couple from off Island. All in all is was a pretty good time. The bands were great (even though I'm not a huge fan of hardcore/metal) and there were a lot of great people there (JOSH COLES). The crowd was sooo young though, most of the people there couldn't have been 14-15 years old. As old as it made me feel, it did make me think back to when I was their age and I was starting to go to shows and how great it was.

I've been going to shows since August of 2003, just shortly before entering highschool. I'm really glad I became part of the "scene", it has opened me up to so much different music, and it allowed me the opportunity to meet some of my closest friends. The best of which I met at my very first show, but that is another story. I think that getting involved in a local music scene is a great opportunity for any young teenager. It allows them, especially the awkward ones, a place to go to let off some of their angst in an accepting and exciting environment. Much better than getting into drugs and crime, or sitting in your room playing video games(The latter can most definitely be debated). It also provides youth with direct access to art that isn't taught in schools. I honestly owe a lot to the music scene here on PEI, and I know the same can be said for a lot of Charlottetown youth. I believe that going to shows not only allows you to blow off some stress, but it opens you up to an entirely new culture and it lets you be apart of something that is much bigger and more important than any class room or hockey team.

Cheers,

Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment