Thursday, April 9, 2009

Day Twenty-Five

Day Twenty-Five - April 9th, 09

Late night semi-celebratory ice Cream parties, boo ya.

I think it was after the fifth time I called home from school with a belly ache that my mom started to think something was wrong with me. She knew I wasn't faking it, because I think I set the record for the most public pukings that year (throwing up grape juice in front of your class=hilarious/embarrassing), so she set out to figure out what was making me sick. My mom is a pretty smart lady, so it didn't take her long to figure out that it was milk I was drinking at lunch everyday that was causing me to upchuck. Once I got the official diagnosis from the doc my milk tokens were traded in for Juice tokens faster than you could say cheese.

I got used to being Lactose Intolerant pretty fast and it never really inconvenienced me beyond a slight upset stomach when I'd forget to take my pill before eating some pizza. I actually ended up growing out of it entirely in grade ten, just shortly after becoming a vegetarian. I never figured out if that was a coincidence or not. Oh well, just glad to be cured.

Looking back on all the soy milk and Lactese pills I've consumed over the years, I have to consider myself to be pretty lucky. I could have had it much worse; I could have been born with Celiac disease, or worse yet, Cystic Fibrosis or Cancer. I can't help but think that someday I'll be diagnosed with a terrible disease, but until then, yay for being relatively healthy!

Would anyone like to hang out tomorrow? I have a couple study free days ahead of me and I want to make the most of them.

Cheers,

Patio

1 comment:

  1. patio,

    i'm lactose-intolerant, but i love ice-cream so much, i just fight through the pain (and coat my tummy first with a cheeseburger, maybe you could try that! just joking!)

    -kranks

    ReplyDelete