Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Day Seventy-Two

Day Seventy-Two - May 26th, 2009

Florence, Italy

Today we ate gelato and went to a giant cathedral.

I also came to the realization that I don't really like traveling with people. No offense to these guys, they are a lot of fun to be around, but traveling in such a big group is difficult. We are all pretty similar in taste, and we all get along, but we are not as like minded as I thought we would be on this trip. We (mainly Zac and I) are always arguing over simple things like directions and it takes us forever to get anywhere. I do walk fast, I admit that, but it shouldn't take us so long to walk down a street. If I were traveling by myself I could see so much more. I also find that traveling in a big group is intimidating to other travelers. The only time that I ever get to talk to people around our hostels is when I veer off from the group. Tonight, for instance, I had a sweet conversation about traveling with a guy named Cliff from Australia and two Danish girls. Never would have happened if I didn't go off by myself.

Traveling with them is definitely an incredible experience, there really isn't that much I would change. They are hilarious to be around and there is rarely a dull moment, it's just so inefficient and tiring. I'm conflicted because I feel like I'm missing out on so much, but I know if I hadn't gone with them there is so much I wouldn't have seen or done. I never would have met that couple in The Netherlands, and I never would have gotten that tour from Andrew for example.

To sum up: this trip so far has ruled, but I'd never do it again with so many people.


Anyway!We went to see the Duomo today. It's a GIANT cathedral in the center of town, it was pretty breathtaking, and it was freeeeee. The line was pretty big, but we entertained ourselves by trying to make the street vendors think that Elisha really wanted to buy something from them. hehehe.

-Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment